0 of 1 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 1 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Creativity and Innovation Techniques
Individually as per your facilitator’s instructions, complete the following formative activity
1) Group work: Draw up a list of 10 common problems in the workplace (in random order as they come to mind):
Any 10 problems
2) Explain why one of the above is a problem in your workplace
A problem exists when there is a difference between what “should be” and what “is”; between the ideal and the actual situation.
A problem occurs when there is “…a deficit or surplus of something that is necessary to achieve one’s goals.”
Problems exist where goals need to be attained and there is uncertainty about the solution.
3) Now write down a description of the problem in terms of “The following should be happening, but isn’t …” or “The following is happening and shouldn’t be: …”
“The following should be happening, but isn’t …” or “The following is happening and shouldn’t be: …”
4) From the list in 1, select the five problems that hamper the achievement of your team goals most, say whether they represent a surplus or a deficit and what the “ideal state” would be:
Five problems that hamper the achievement of team goals most
5) Study the following calendar showing team members’ attendance for the month:
You say you are not happy with your team’s attendance. Define the problem by asking relevant questions:
Learners must analyse the two members’ pattern of absenteeism, i.e. weekends and close to pay day
6) Describe the absenteeism problem in the following terms: “The following should be happening, but isn’t …” and “The following is happening and shouldn’t be:
Refer to absenteeism and effect on team performance
7) Based on your statement above, you can now say that your team goals are not being achieved because:
There is a deficit of two members, thus not enough work done/ other members have to work harder
8) With your partner, select a problem in your workplace related to a process. State the fact and then the partner asks “So what?” until you are happy that you have extracted all the important information implied by the fact.
Check that each group continues until they have extracted all the information. Discuss and get feedback.
Signatures upon completion:
9) Brainstorm possible solutions to the problem identified above. Write your notes below:
Learners brainstorm possible solutions
10) Address the problem identified above by answering the following questions about each solution:
Most likely solution: _______
11) Draw up an action plan to implement the solution